Monday, April 22, 2013

Spring cleaning and goal setting



This picture doesn't do justice to what I saw driving around my neighborhood yesterday afternoon.  It was spring garbage pick up/clean up day, so all of my neighbors were setting old unused items by the curb.  Then all afternoon beat up trucks, vans, trailers, and everything in between were seen driving around the rubble and picking up the items intended for the landfill.

At the end of the day, however, it was a fabulous feeling to have some extra space in the garage and I was even tempted to get out my lawn mower after officially "retiring" my snow blower to the far corner of my garage until next winter.  I always get revved up this time of year thinking about what I get dust off, clean up, and organize both inside and outside of my home.

It also got me thinking about work goals as well.  There is no reason to limit my motivation to landscaping and honey-do lists.  Now is a great time to be thinking about career goals, new opportunities, turning over a new leaf (pun intended for spring), hiring a new employee, and much more.  One of our busiest times all year is May and June and this year is shaping up to be no different.

So if you haven't already thought about it, shake the dust off of your resume.  Revise and update that most recent job description for a role that should probably be filled by mid-summer.  Take the opportunity to write down a to-do list of things you want to accomplish before the end of summer.  This time of year always goes by so quickly with kids' activities, summer vacations, and days off here and there to go golfing or swimming.  So why not plan ahead and put down on paper some goals to commit to in the next 5-6 weeks.

If you are anything like me yesterday, you will feel a sense of accomplishment and new beginning afterward.

What goals might you want to achieve by the Fourth of July?

No comments:

Post a Comment