Monday, January 13, 2014

Re-defining resolutions in the new year

I am on a three-year streak of keeping 100% of my New Year's resolutions.  Want to know my secret?  Each of the last three years I have set out to have NO New Year's resolutions.  I am three-fer-three on my goal and plan on keeping up this pattern for the foreseeable future.  I am two weeks into 2014 and have done a great job of still eating junk food leftover from the holidays, retaining my bad attitude about Iowa winters, and committing myself to be who I am and not try to change for the sake of a 30-day workout regimen.


Out of curiosity I Google the word "resolution" and the first definition that appeared was simply "a firm decision to do or not do something".  Then I wondered out loud if by NOT having a resolution was I really having a resolution by this definition?

Another definition was "the quality of being determined or resolute".  This one resonates with me.  Instead of doing something you probably should have been doing all year (like exercising) or NOT doing all year (like eating nothing but fried food washed down by light beer), this definition simply suggests that being determined is the path for a better journey.  Here are a few ideas to be resolute in your job search in 2014:

1) Be better at your current job, even if you don't want to remain there for the long term.  I read a quote recently that said if you really want to be noticed do what it takes to be noticed when no one is watching.  You might be surprised what is revealed about your character in this process.  It will also help your attitude tremendously when going into potential job interviews.  When asked about your job you can be more focused on accomplishments and daily execution of your job description instead of grumbling about what you don't like about your role or organization in general.

2) Always show progress.  Similar to point #1, always be improving your job skills, looking for continuing education opportunities, finding ways to participate more outside of the purview of your department, and make daily goals that can be achieved easily instead of monster goals that are unattainable.  Even if you have done the same job for the past ten years, there are always ways to get better as an individual contributor.

3) Don't change who you are.  Have you ever heard the phrase one body, many parts?  If you are really good at client service, don't try and be a salesperson.  If you do not have the skills to be a manager, but you aspire to that position for control, find other ways to manage that stress.  You can have control without having a management title on your business card.  Bottom line is to find your strengths, embrace them, and never stop getting better.

Instead of resolutions in the predictable sense of the word this time of year, how can you be more determined in 2014?



No comments:

Post a Comment